Sunday, December 11, 2005

Turkey, The New Mystery Meat.

What are they putting in turkeys these days. My local grocery store was practically giving away Brand Name turkeys to it's regular customers this year. So, I decided to get into the holiday spirit this Thanksgiving by baking a turkey. I am actually a pretty descent cook when I want to be. After all I was trained to be a cook in the army, but never took it very serious.
I was expecting to have my kids over that week but then there mother got confused, they didn't make it over. I ended up making turkey for myself.
It turned out perfect, Juicy, flavorfull, with a slightly crispy skin. Just the way I like it.
I had my fill and was thinking of how I would go about freezing it for later.
However, I kept thinking there's been a strange but familiar smell, or taste or something. It was just slight enough that I couldn't put a finger on it.
I went to work and had my usual work lunch. When I got back home I had some turkey. Now there's that smell again except it seems to permeate my whole being. I realized it's that same taste I get when I rarely get an antibiotic. I don't know it this is really what I was smelling/tasting but I am sure it was. I can't imagine what else it could have been. The thought of it grossed me out enough that I had to throw away the whole bird. After about three days, I couldn't smell/taste it anymore. That is the last time I make turkey.

No comments: